The Brookings Institution conducted this webinar to examine what is being offered by the National Apprenticeship Act of 2021 and the value of apprenticeships to Americans and to the economy.
Employer panelists and apprenticeship advocates shared what they have learned, responded to questions, and offered their viewpoints on such issues as:
- Getting past the stigma attached to blue-collar work.
- Looking beyond college as the only path to a career.
- How education can complement on-the-job training.
- Whether European apprenticeship models can be applied in the U.S.
- How building trades apprenticeships can be a template for other sectors.
The employer panel included Maria Flynn, President and CEO of Jobs for the Future, and Noel Ginsberg, CEO of Intertech Plastics and founding Executive Chair of YARG grantee CareerWise Colorado. Senator John Hickenlooper of Colorado and Representative David P. McKinley of West Virginia also weighed in on the need for apprenticeship programs at this time of economic upheaval and high unemployment.